In Part 1, we covered the integration of an HVAC system to the Miniserver for smarter temperature control. The next step is now damper control, so temperatures and schedules can be set for each room.
Did you miss anything in Part 1?
Let’s start Part 2 with zones. By default, many heating systems work with two zones controlled by two thermostats, one in the upper floor and another in the lower floor of the house. Since heating and cooling are only distributed through the HVAC system, the only way to
the airflow is through the ventilation grillswhich might not be very convenient nor smart at all.
In order to benefit from setting up temperatures and schedules per room, dampers must be installed in all the rooms. Features include:
Heat the bathroom in the morning and in the evening, and lower the temperature during the day to save energy.
Keep the living room cool when the house is empty during the week, and warm in the weekend (as long as the house is not empty)
Keep the bedroom cool to improve sleep quality and save energy.
Turn down the heating automatically when the house is empty, and turn it up again when the house is no longer empty.
Have remote access to the heating system and be able to see temperatures and get notifications if there are any issues (such as temperature drops or HVAC water leaks).
Installation of damper control
An electronic damper simply controls the air flow (and therefore the temperature) by adjusting its position. The installation of damper control is very simple:
1. Put the dampers into the duct, usually where the ductwork makes branches to the individual rooms.
2. Run a wire from each damper to the Miniserver in the distribution to power them and send the control signals.
3. Read the temperature in every room thanks to the built-in temperature of the Touch used throughout the house. Other products that are equipped with temperature sensors like the Temperature & Humidity Sensor Air can also be used.
Check out this video for further information on the installation of damper control:
This is how the setup might look like in the attic of the house, as soon as the dampers for every room are installed and right after the main trunk line makes branches to the difference
Control of heating and cooling with dampers
Loxone Config makes it easy to implement features such as:
1. Set up individual heating and cooling schedules for each room.
2. Set and change your preferred temperatures.
3. Each room is automatically heated or cooled to the preferred temperature in time.
4. Save energy when nobody is at home.